Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Be one with the wall

Hiring a dirt bike to drive across the south of Thailand had proved to be quite the experience. Our journey home had been suspended however, as at the spur of the moment, the small speed boat on the beach of Ao Nang, Krabi, held an invisible STOP HERE NOW sign above it. With no rush to get home, my boyfriend, previously referred to as Balloo, casually parked up and bought us two tickets to Railey beach. 


Upon hearing about some good rock climbing on Railey beach, we decided now was as good a time than ever to check it out. Considering my only experience with rock climbing consisted of a 6 ft climbing wall at the age of about seven, I was a little surprised when we arrived at a tiny booth on the beach, covered in odd looking shoes. Trying not to focus on the dated look of the hanging equipment surrounding me, I turned to face our instructor for the afternoon. I had previously had many debates with Balloo as he had always tried to convince me that rock climbers had the most impressive bodies but I had never seen any evidence of this, until now.


Standing at eye level, which is not unusual in Thailand, was a lady with one of the most lean and toned physiques I had ever come across. Later learning she was a mere 37 kilograms, the shear strength and power held in her tiny frame was one to intimidate the most aggressive of cage fighters and I was immediately sold to this form of exercise. Making the most of the scenery, we chose an outdoor wall with a sea view, which sounded pleasant enough, and within moments my backside was strapped up, my hands were chalked and I was being told to push from the legs. 


Trying not to be distracted by the monkeys accompanying me, I made my climb up the wall searching for holes to wedge my fingers in to and tiny ledges I could rest my weight on. The first two baby walls were completed without too much of a struggle and all in all I was happy with my progress with those toned triceps not too far from reach. Balloo had an impressive background in rock climbing so I paid no attention to him flying up the walls and plodded along in my own time trying hard to appreciate the stunning view of the sea, although I was more inclined to look up at the wall rather than the distance below. Still in shock at the 37 kg human rock belaying this grown man, I stepped up to a more advanced climb with the instructor repeatedly telling me there was no such word as can't. Distinctively brushing off her patronising motivational speech I began to climb.


Although I was continuously warned to push from the weight in my legs, the temptation to pull through my arms must have won on the first two climbs as they were shaking with fatigue now. This state of tiredness in less than an hour of climbing frightened me as I was stuck two thirds of the way up an advanced wall and I began to panic. Now understanding her persistence in abusing the word can't, I couldn't think of any other word to refer to and was getting aggravated at her choice to ignore it. Balloo sympathised with his distressed girlfriend in fear of her own patheticness and calmly told me to let our instructor take my weight and abseil down. As I begun doing this my heart sank as I had realised the defeat of my own mistakes.


Encouraging words directed at how great I had done made me more agitated at my failure to carry on until I understood that I had learnt from my mistakes quickly and before adapting an unhealthy habit. Along with the gorgeous scenery, a sense of adventure and inspiring physiques this new challenge was an exciting way to exercise, explore and could open up a lot of future opportunities with hiking and activities involving natural strength. This cardiovascular workout also increases your heart rate, burns fat and strengthens muscle. The extended motions stretch all of the limbs creating a lean look which works incredibly well for the more petite people! Regardless of your fitness level, unless you're James Franco, this is hardcore. Easily the most challenging workout I have come across to date and from this day on I am determined to be one with that wall!


As cliche as it sounds there should be no word as can't, it's an excuse for don't want to and is used far too much when it comes to experimenting with exercise!







No comments:

Post a Comment