Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

Paddle power

Growing up in the city, the word exercise has immediate assumptions of health clubs, running and for younger generations perhaps a local sports club. Those adventurous enough may have found a dance class or indulged in an attempt of boxercise but what with dense surroundings, a lack of free time and uncooperative weather, diversity isn't a practical option.


Before introduction, I'd already seen my boyfriends muay thai videos but when our first dates consisted of fire spinning on the beach, a trampoline in the park and a pay as you go phone, this side of the millennium,  I knew he was different. With his love of the outdoors I was soon subjected to cutting firewood, harness - free rock climbing and with my first outdoor bike ride covering 52 kilometers, you can imagine these were never half - hearted excursions. So when visiting him on the island, the suggestion of an hour in the kayak seemed like one of the lighter adventures.


In full view from Thongsala pier, Koh Phangan, a small deserted island sits with an open invitation. With nothing but sand and jungle, the plan was to kayak there, taking all of five minutes, have a wander and kayak back. However, in the two minute drive to the bay, this plan had changed and I found myself fully kitted with oars and a life jacket independently battling the supposedly sedate sea whilst he prepared his new mask and four foot fins for a go at free diving instead.


Under strict instructions to concentrate and not fixate on the serenity and drift away, as experienced in a previous surfing incident, I kept paddling and remained focused on my boundaries set by the paranoid partner. Being in shallower waters I expected an easy task however, the unsuspected mounts of seaweed and a deceiving current made it a far more challenging work out. Feeling the power through my shoulders, upper back, biceps and triceps, the reliability on keeping a strong core to keep me stable also required a surprising amount of effort from my legs as well. Being alone in the kayak, there was no possibility of whining to escape duty so I just soldiered through developing my stamina too.


As uncomfortable as this may sound, the strenuous exercise was completely disguised as I remained transfixed on the sea life, sunlight and the freedom of the ocean, not to mention catching a enviable tan! I hadn't realised the extent of the physical exertion until I returned to shore and was welcomed by the post work out ache which I am sadistically a fan of.


It may also be worth mentioning in another discovery that swimming with a life jacket is far harder than anticipated. Although I remained afloat, my range of movement was reduced to bobbing hysterically in hope of help from the current to take me closer to the kayak, which I am positive also helped to burn a few extra calories!


Other than surrounding yourself with active people, or finding a human Balloo as your boyfriend, this unexpected form of exercise helped me to realise that work outs do not always have to be regimented into specific routines for your day. As a traveller it is often easy to procrastinate, become lazy and take for granted the opportunities around you. Simple outings such as this help you maintain an active lifestyle, are kind to your savings and create some unforgettable new memories along the way.






No comments:

Post a Comment