Pages

Sunday 11 March 2012

Beating the buffet

Buffet is a two syllable word that, depending on the accent, sounds so eloquent yet never fails to make my heart sink. As mentioned before, if there is food around me I will eat it and this weakness is cruelly tested every time the offer of a buffet is made. After much deliberation on how to avoid or politely decline these invitations without seeming unsociable and psychotic I decided to come up with a strategy. Being the loser I am, I attempted various methods including starvation and arriving with a full stomach, both unsuccessful, and here is what I found worked for me:


- Eat little and often throughout the day. Whet you're appetite and you are less likely to overdo it and fill yourself up too quickly! Or if on a weekend try and make it early afternoon so you are not too hungry either side.


- Do not drink with your meal. Mixing fluid with my meal floods my insides leaving me feel hugely uncomfortable with the desire to puke uncontrollably. I drink water half an hour or so before hand and eat fruit for desert which depresses any dehydration!


- Fill up on salad and vegetables. Preferably without the sauce. They fill you up and have almost minus calories. If sauce is needed then I opt for a salsa or soy sauce because they are less calorific and still taste good! If at an Indian buffet then go for the veg and fish based curries or plain chicken tikka pieces as meat IS your friend!


- Stay away from carbs. They fill you up and are just plain evil! If you must, limit them and remember brown over white if the option is available, also sushi is acceptable because it is healthy and tastes amazing! The opposite applies for meat - white meat and grilled or stir fried pork are the good guys.


- Go to the gym either directly before or at least some point in the day to get your metabolism going - if not make sure you have been consistent with your workouts throughout the week.


- Jelly and fruit for desert if like me and you need to end on a sweet note! Toffee apples and cherry pie does not count.


- Slow down. People seem to forget that the empty food trays will be replaced, you will not miss out - if anything you will receive more or it was just not meant to be.


These techniques helped me out eat three grown men on more than occasion and I was highly satisfied with my intake on all accounts. I also learnt not to beat myself up. You are allowed to treat yourself but providing you find out what works for you and do not go crazy, the word treat won't even need to come into the meal description. It is just another meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment