Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Ignorance is bliss


Resisting temptation was never an option. A whole tub of mint choc chip ice cream to compliment my grilled chicken, boiled potatoes and steamed vegetables every Sunday was a ritual not a choice. The main meal provided my nutritional needs and the ice cream rewarded my great behaviour. 

This logic was soon dismissed as I threw up in the toilet after every Sunday session. My ignorance blaming it on a full stomach was soon ridiculed as a new flame pointed out that I was a sufferer of the much feared lactose intolerance.

Unexpectedly, he hung around however, having known me for five minutes I laughed at these claims and insisted I was just a server of a seventh sin - greed! Still he remained intrigued and began some investigation work. Finally he concluded that as I was not the greatest fan of cheese and only a skimmed milk drinker; the effects, besides vomiting, seemed subtle yet were evident. How naive can one be?!

Moving to Thailand seemed to considerably cut lactose from my diet. Rarely consuming milk, cheese and other lactose products in their local diet meant these items were often imported and therefore came at a price. This proved beneficial for me as I stuck to soy products and filtered my allergy – although still nabbing at chocolate occasionally! 

My constant bloated feeling and troubled digestion had eased and was a great aid in my battle to lose weight. Eliminating lactose made it harder to treat myself as the less I had the more intolerant I became however, the silver lining in my comfort overrode this black cloud. 

Indulging is now a thing of the past and the smooth transition in my diet has now been forgotten. Besides, a sweet chocolate treat chewed slowly still makes me smile and helps me appreciate it that much more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment